Gaza Gazette
Politics

Eight foreign ministries say Israel now carries the blame for the Gaza deadlock

The joint statement calls the rejection a repudiation of a plan the Security Council itself endorsed, and asks Washington to keep pressing — an admission that the signatories cannot enforce it themselves.

صورة أرشيفية من Gaza
Archive photo — shows the place, not the eventPhoto Jaber Jehad Badwan · licence CC BY-SA 4.0 · source

Eight foreign ministries — Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and the United Arab Emirates — said in a joint statement on Sunday that Israel's rejection of the roadmap for ending the war in Gaza leaves it responsible for obstructing efforts to reach peace.

The eight ministries noted that Palestinian factions had already accepted the same roadmap, and described the rejection as a direct repudiation of the plan put forward by US President Donald Trump and endorsed by the UN Security Council in Resolution 2803.

What was rejected is a sequence, not a declaration: the decommissioning of weapons, the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the deployment of an International Stabilization Force and the reconstruction of Gaza. Each step in it is the precondition for the next, which is why a refusal at the top of the sequence stops everything below it.

The signatories said Israel had also rejected Palestinian statehood, and repeated that a just and lasting peace requires a two-state solution on the 1967 lines with East Jerusalem as the capital of the Palestinian state.

They called on the Board of Peace to take immediate and concrete measures against the obstruction, and said sustained US engagement is needed to secure Israeli compliance — which is the statement's own measure of its weight. Eight governments, several of them signatories to the plan's regional architecture, are asking a ninth to do the enforcing.